Friday, September 25, 2009

Big albacore


3 years ago Nikolaj rang and told me to get my ass down to Tauranga - pronto! The big albies were smashing bait on the surface - 'foaming' as the yanks call it - and one of his clients cast 10 feet, hooked into a beast and 40 minutes later landed a 21kg horse on the 12 weight. Nik got on the phone that night and implored me to get down there - work got in the way, I didn't go, the Capt De Souza steamed in, set a net round the big albie concentration and POOF that was it. The chance for a real horse - gone. Yeah we've got onto the albies since - but definitely not the horse sized ones we really want.
Nik rang me today - almost 3 years to the day and the fish are back, the BIG albies we want. So we're off all going well, on Tuesday. The fish are deep so I'll tie some heavy weight flies to just get down there fast. 20M is hard to get at with a fly when you're drifting fast, and there will be wind for sure. We may have a jigger on board, could be handy at getting fish up the water column, if he agrees to a hookless jig.
Now, to the planning part.....

No comments:

Post a Comment