Friday, January 1, 2010

First of the 1st

Got in a New Year's trout trip today. Travelled down to a mate of Tim's place to fish a stream I'd read and thought about, funnily enough its never jumped to top of mind when thinking "hmmmmm where to go tomorrow". Based on today I will go back, maybe a couple of shots a season would be about right. Its a gravel and small boulder pastoral stream and I was lucky to be there 2 days after a fresh - it was mint. Leaving the car up at GD.308's place I walked down stream and rigged up a parachute dry with a trailing nymph and began to prospect. After a perfectly pleasant 5 hours on the water I'd covered less than 2 km and hit at least 20 fish, landing 11. Plenty slashed at the dry and missed, which will give some indication of the nature of the stream, that sort of thing is typical in those fast flowing waters. Fish of the day (there are 2!) a spanking 4.5lb brown that was sitting right where he should have been at the tail of a long slow pool. I didn't have my net but had my hand around his tail before he gave a violent wiggle and dislodged the fly... and me. No matter, touched him so I'll count him as landed. The 'bows were fat as harry the horse and one guy gave me the hell upstream boring run through 2 more pools before I landed him. In fact that was the last fish of the day and a great way to end.

May 2010 continue in this vein!

No comments:

Post a Comment