Monday, August 30, 2010

The AndyH report

Here goes:

"Well, it was a quiet afternoon.

We were taunted the whole time by herds of geese on the green grassy farm slopes opposite the mai mai (across the swamp) cackling and grunting as they chased each other around. The odd rain shower to keep us hidden. And lots and lots of spoonies and teal! Heaps of them. A heap of ducks got up when we got there too and there were quite a few moving around.

Just before dark a single goose came across in front but was out of (my) range. Paul had a crack but it continued un slowed. Then a single came around the back and was going to land on the pond (thanks to my awesome goose calling), Paul was out in the punt getting the dekes back in and he had a larrup just behind me out of sight, when it came into view it was climbing fast and directly above. Needless to say, I missed it. Kevin and Rex in the other maimai dropped it with a few shots and it fell into some nasty sheet that the dogs couldn’t get into. So one down but none back to the vehicles.

They are so much bigger than ducks, I need to completely change the lead I give them I think.

But we will see in the Wairarapa whether geese are immune to my charms as they seem to be at the moment."

No comments:

Post a Comment