Friday, May 18, 2012

Waikato Goose Mafia

Its taken an awful long time to reach the Inner Circle. Somehow I know it would take a lifetime to become a "made man" within the WGM, I really doubt its a status I'll ever achieve. As it is, I incessantly bugged whoever would listen about how much I really really really wanted an opportunity to visit that scene. Finally, Cock rang me and said theres a goose hunt going down. He couldn't go himself, but put me forward for a spot. Late last night saw me down at the local park mowing grass for my layout. Gear ready, truck packed, layout grassed (a mission in itself) then shower and bed. The alarm chirped at 03.40 and it was up and at 'em. With a 90 minute drive ahead there was no way I was rising late and missing out. I got to Rangiriri hotel first before anyone else but soon The Don and his Consigliere & Underboss arrived. I shuffled over and shook hands (kissing the Don's? nah, not quite). Soon the other Capos and soldiers arrived. Then in quite a big convoy, we were off. We didn't travel all that far, and soon we were setting up in a newly grassed paddock. Decoys were transported in and set up, then the layouts, and finally the vehicles were moved. We loaded up and before it was truly light we heard the first geese moving. 10 or so loomed out of the gloom on set wings, responding to the calling. In they came, The Don called it and shots boomed out. Nothing left. The Don had told us that flight would last 2 hours. 2 hours in and huge mobs of geese were either skirting our setup, or committing. We had 50 birds down after the first hour  and within the allotted 2 hours there were 80 on the ground. And it didn't finish there. After a lull in the wind it started again in earnest and huge mobs began to move. They just kept coming in the most gob-smacking way. The wind was perfect, drifting the noise of our shots away from the big lake. The Don was content. 4 hours in and he called the session - he had work to do and people were waiting for him. As we pulled the dekes and piled the geese, even more approached, honking and squarking. I may never see the like of this hunt again. the unofficial count was 120+.

The Underboss got a nice group photo, so when he sends it I'll post. In the meantime here are some of my shabby efforts.






I cant express enough thanks to the Mafiosos, for welcoming me in, making me feel right at home and letting me be a triggerman.

No comments:

Post a Comment