Saturday, December 22, 2012

Transducer conundrum

On the boat, I've been running a pretty much generic Lowrance transducer that came with the X-51 that I put on my kayak. It worked well enough with the X-51 when used in the boat, but the HDS Touch has exposed it's limitations. The actual transducer is a deep water model according to its label, and not the fairly common 50/200 Hz dual that I'd thought. The time spent trying to fine tune out the noise and get sharper performance hasn't worked... the more I looked at info the closer I got to the conclusion that a new transducer would tell me more than hours spent fiddling.

Marine Deals have pretty good rates on all things boat electrics, so I ordered an Airmar P66 true dual frequency tansducer, and it arrived the next day. Just in time for the weeknd, so I knew what I'd be doing. I removed the old Lowarnace transducer, then used marine sealant to bog the old holes. Using the method of cutting up a chopping board to use as a mounting plate seemed better than randomly drilling through the transom, so that went on next, liberally siliconed to ensure good a water tight fit. Then positioning on the new transducer - I don't have heaps of real estate at the back of my boat to mount on due to scuppers, plus I mount on the non recommended side as it makes running cable easier for me. (Having said that, when I finally get around to buying a structure scan transducer it will go on the starboard side of the transom.





Sea test this week some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment