Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Playing with dubbing brushes

When I visited the tackle store a few days ago to pick up a new tip top for my broken fly rod (temporary fix), I saw some dubbing brushes and having seen what TT's tied for his Golden dorado trip I was pretty impressed. They offer a nice mobile fibrous body and I immediately saw applications for snapper flies, especially as the fibres look pretty durable.

So I ended up whipping up a few ties.

First I tied in a mono extension, burned the end to form a knob and then tied in a double bunny tail, which I super-glued together.


Then tied in the brush and wound forward, sweeping fibres back as I went.



Tied off, added eyes and finished head with UV glue.



Did a tri-colour variant as well.



This stuff has lots of potential.


But at $14 per brush its not cheap. Probably cheaper sourced elsewhere so I'll start looking....

No comments:

Post a Comment