Tuesday, August 7, 2018

2 days

4am start again. Jase and Layla were the passengers, and Turangi the destination. A good run to Pete's place where we dropped off our excess gear; in the past both of us have had our cars robbed. Far easier to prevent fate being tempted, than to run risks.

First stop, the Over The Hill Pool (OTHP). Really good swinging water, directly upsteam of The Silly. I started half way down and Jase went in at the head. I swung right down covering the water as well as I could... not a tug. Jase caught one right off the bat, but that was his total return. 2 guys already in the Silly each caught a fish on scratching gear.  I went in at the head of the OTHP for a fast run through the head. Again nada. We crossed at the bottom of the run and set off downstream, dropping down to Cattle Rustler's. I moved up to fish Barlows which is a beautiful run and went through thoroughly - not a damn thing. Uh-oh, this wasn't looking so bright. Jase had hit a couple of fish.

Crossing Cattle Rustler's at the tail, Layla in tow. Going downstream ok, I'd not like to cross against the current. Mill Race. Hit or miss water. Nice for swinging, but scratchers get in here a fair bit too. Jase was already well down the run by the time I started. I was at the halfway mark when the fly was hit upon landing at the far bank, and a strong fish took line. It was a good fight and as I drew the fish ashore an angler stepped in upstream - Connor, who I hadn't seen for a fair while. We caught up and Jase came up to see us. He’d swung nothing up from the run. After a natter we got going and took the bush trail up to where the truck was parked. We decided to have lunch at the Blue and were soon brewing tea and eating rolls and chorizo Saussies.

Up at the Sand pool, a ranger checked our licenses (after many years between being checked, this was the second license check in a month) before we crossed and moved down to swing the water below. Jase calls it the Pig Pen. He let me swing the more productive lie and I was almost at the tail of the pool proper before I got a hit and landed a small feisty fresh fish. I pulled out and Jase swung the tailout and began to cross the river with the current. He bounced across and I began to follow, with Layla in tow. I blessed the fact that I'm 6'3". With dog held by collar we got across no problem. Layla's quite calm in crossings that aren't everyone's cup of tea.

Back at the car we made the call to swing the Blue. I had one tug but was fishing in auto mode and sort of pulled the fly from the fish half heartedly.

We called back to Pete's to grab our gear and then headed down to our accommodation. What a delightful old school bach! Set back amongst trees, old school fittings with a few modern amenities, it was like stepping back in time. We made ourselves at home, got Layla settled in the laundry and then went out to find dinner. Burgers and fries filled the gap.

Up and at 'em early Sunday. Breakfast then over to Pete's. We made a call to fish the town pools. I'd never fished the Island Pool so that was a new piece of fishy looking water. I went through it as thoroughly as I could, but achieved nothing except lost flies. Pete and Jase went down to the Judges to fish the True Left. I swung the tail out. Nothing. I really wasn't troubling the scorers. I grabbed a very bored Layla and we headed down to Judges. I arrived in time to watch Jase land a nice fish. Its a tricky cast in here, with limited room and very deep water just a step out from the bank. A couple of nymphers plied the pool on the far side. Pete had pulled the pin by this stage. Back to the car.

At the Bridge Pool coffee cart we ran into young Connor. He was planning to fish the Bridge Pool but we formed a new plan. Downstream to Grace's Road car park. Only a couple of cars in residence. I wanted to fish Karl's "No Face Fish Pool" so headed downstream while Jase and Connor fished a closer piece of water.

Connor with a smashing fish

My casting was gone. I stuggled my way down to the NFFP. I hadn't put a Spey swivel into my system so had a few curls in my running line. I sat down. Tore 15m of running line off. Cut it. Put new loop knot in. On with Spey swivel. Back into it. The fly swung slowly into the holding water and the tug pulled line from my fingers. A fit fish gave a good account of itself and I beached it.


Connor wandered downstream and as he arrived I had another hit. This fish soon detached after a strong start to the fight. I withdrew and gave Connor the water which he covered nicely.

I wandered back upstream to fish the water Jase and Connor had covered. Good move. Cold showers smattered the water.The run is full of ugly snag like structure but actually has a clean holding lie. The first hit was a full-on SMACK and the fish launched sideways, throwing the hook. The next hit hooked up solidly and I played a fish in through the snags. Stunning. Silver. Fresh. Connot walked up and the following hit saw a fat fresh fish take to the air. I thought I had control but the hook threw, just as Connor was ready to net him.

Fresh & silver
Jase came up to find Pete who had arrived and I hit a snag that ate several flies before.... my running line parted. Connor waded in below the snag and retrieved my head and tip, thanks bro!

Back at the truck Layla made herslf at home, curled up on Jase's seat. Ooops. We had a beer each and talked smack until Jase and Pete joined us. Concept flies were handed out. Gear exchanged. The fellowship of fly fishing is alive.

Carpark concept fly... :D

Fat & fighting fit




No comments:

Post a Comment