Saturday, September 24, 2011

Making the most of the weather

'Dre called me yesterday. Having some phone issues and missed his voice message but we hooked up eventually. Talk about great minds thinking alike - we both were thinking dawn raid on the snaps. Wasn't until well after I'd asked him to buy some bait & burley that I realised he probably thought we were taking his boat, while I was thinking of taking mine out. Anyway we decided on mine. Andre's brother Tristan was coming along too. Got up at 4.30, had some brekkie and a coffee and took off for Taka ramp. Well!!! rather than a boat ramp it was a campervan parking lot. Not cool. I mean I got a park easily enough but boat ramps are boat ramps not caravan parks. We hit Rangi shallows by 5.20 on the outgoing and anchored in 6m. First baits hit the water and soon we had some nice fish aboard. As the sun rose the bite tapered off so we motored out a bit. Eventually we drifted out by A Buoy, nothing doing there except a big 'couta which took me on a tour of the boat for a while. We'd fished for a couple of hours by this time and decided to head into the channel proper to get the advantage of the dwindling current. Good call, soon a steady stream of good snaps came aboard. We took home 15 fish and would have put back half that many. Sea was flat as a pancake.

Booger ran well 3 up, but I think that's her comfortable POB limit. Took an hour to clean down gear, boat and fish.

Spring fishing at its best. As I write its clouding over and the NW is getting up.

No comments:

Post a Comment