Monday, June 30, 2014

Fly fishing in winter

Yesterday I got a couple of texts and a call from TT; he and a mate had escaped from Rotorua and were searching for some clear water on the way home. As it happened, they were parked in a reserve right beside the creek that I would have nominated as a goer.

I suggested that they walk downstream for 45 mins and stalk back up looking for the big (for around there) browns that move up to spawn at this time of year. I spoke with him today; they'd actually moved onto another stream and he'd hooked into several fish within 100m of where they'd parked.

Reading international blogs like this one from the states, makes you realise how lucky we are to not have to put up with combat fishing. Especially at this time of year, when crowds move into the Taupo and Rotorua hot spots. Having said that, some of these creeks close on 30th June to protect the spawners, but there are still others that stay open and give options outside of fishing with the masses. From my perspective I'd really struggle to find the time to fish between April and July anyhow; but if I did I know where I'd be looking.

*****

Our local fly fishing club, the Strip-Strike club is going from strength to strength.


Like any club there are guys who drive and guys who are along for the ride. I'm definitely riding; the guys behind the club are far more dedicated swoffers than I am, or at least they have perhaps fewer interests.... I'll bring the rods out again a bit later in the year when the pheasants go into safe mode.

In the meantime you can check out club happenings here.

No comments:

Post a Comment