Sunday, November 7, 2010

Roll your own sausage

Things I learned about making your own sausages:

1. The meat grinder/sausage stuffer makes noise equivalent to a small chainsaw. Ear muffs recommended. The family had to evacuate to Oma's house (Oma being Dutch term for Granny) to escape the noise
2. The sausage casings are little buggers. Part of the prep involves thoroughly rinsing them in cold water (they come packed in salt to preserve them), and if you're not careful they'll slide down the plug hole.....
3. It's not a fast process. It took me about 3 hours (I should get faster in the future) to rattle up 4kg of sausages
4. But man is it satisfying to end up with chains of sausages, knowing the origination of every single bit - except the casing I suppose

I used Canada goose, pork shoulder and pork belly - with lean game meat you need a source of fat content so pork belly from pigs shot at Shanks' place are the perfect source. Fresh sage, thyme, garlic, lemon juice, sea salt, cracked black pepper and some fresh chilli powder, a bit of playing around and voila! a really nice sausage emerged.

SHMBO has banned me from doing it again, so next weekend I'll put down another batch!

No comments:

Post a Comment