Thursday, May 12, 2011

Monday & Tuesday


Monday morning saw me and dad at Puru, Greg & Tom at Park. It would prove to be a long morning. Ducks were about but making themselves scarce from the ponds, although we had one unprompted flock come in with landing gear down while we were both out looking for a downed bird. It was seriously quiet - where are all the ducks? One observation with having all the water around was that shooting seemed to be coming from all directions. We packed up at 11 and headed in to clean birds. Greg and Tom got a couple.

I spent some time moving decoys around as the wind was getting stronger - hopefully an evening flight would eventuate? It didn't really, but I knocked down a mallard hen that came too close. That was Monday over.

I woke early Tuesday to notice that the temperature had dropped, and the wind had moved around to the South. Not quite what I was hoping for as the fog was heavy. I sat in the mai mai listening for birds. Early on a flock came over cahtting quite happily and that was it for the next couple of hours. All was quiet, except the sounds of the electronic decoys. By 8.30 I was wondering if I'd get a  shot away. 8.45 the fog began to lift. At 8.55, 4 greys appeared and I took the near bird, figuring 1 in hand... at 9 I dropped a pair of mallards, and at 9.30 another pair. Suddenly it was a reasonably good shoot. Limit bird eluded me but I was pretty happy all the same.

Back home for the afternoon, just as the weather really began to pack up.... swapped watch duties with dad, hope he's doing ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment