Saturday, April 28, 2012

Tagging holes

Spent a day pot-holing today, or more accurately, marking karstic holes on GPS and map. Why? Because our pheasants are running around in tomo country and because dogs have been known to fall into them. Our party recently lost a dog (fatally) down one, so Craig and I decided to go and mark the more dangerous ones. Hell, there is no shortage.

Here are a few...



We must have marked 50 odd. With names like Serious Shit and Mother of God, you know we found some very deep holes. I've hunted pretty damn close to most of them, with no real inkling of what lay behind the blackberry or under the fern.

Craig's a bit more adventurous than me and climbed down some. Not my cup of tea so I stayed above ground acting cool, but silently freaking out that he would be stuck down a hole in his red bands...

Anyway, we loaded them up to Google Earth and then graded them by seriousness. Seriousness being the likely outcome of a dog going into one. Job mostly done, but I don't think we found them all....

No comments:

Post a Comment