Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Years Day

TT rang me at about 8.30, at 9.45 we met at Westhaven and put his boat in. The general idea was to go and get some snaps for his tea from the Bastion Reef system. Funny wind as we left, bearing from the SW... but as we got further down the harbour it became more westerly. Which combined with the incoming tide pushed us side on to the current leaving big slack loops in the line needing constanr adjustment. First baits in the water and we were on, landing a couple of small snaps - very promising. But, as has been the case so often of late, the fishing was patchy so we moved location a number of times. The hours just got eaten up and all too soon it was go home time... but we decided to head out into the channel and fling some flies around for kingis around the markers. First cast into the buoy and half a dozen kings jumped over each other before one scooped up the fly. Line flew through my fingers and I couldn't stop him from finding the marker chain. Change of leader to 30lb and a new fly. Next buoy and we had a chase and a hit which didn't connect. Next buoy and I was on. We led the fish away and I knew he wasn't particularly large.




He gave a good account of himself on the #8, but soon enough we netted him.



Back he went. I wish trout fought like that.

We moved up the harbour fishing each marker. Soon enough TT was on.



We landed his fish and then Huey decided he'd been kind enough and the NE got up again. I swear that I'll celebrate any other wind than this nagging stupid claggy, wet, annoying, long lasting perpetually shitty NE crap.

I even landed a keepable snapper. My karma is back.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment